The following are the Five effective remedies, (tried and tested for thousands of years in Indian households and based on the medical science, Ayurveda), to treat Sunburns and Sun rashes. Sun burns are caused when your skin is exposed to harmful UV rays of the sun for long hours and more so, if your skin is sensitive. The result of this exposure is the itchy red skin rash. This problem of sun rashes or sun poisoning is medically known as, polymorphous light eruption.
These remedies will surely help you get rid of these ailments and make your hot Indian summers a lot better than ever!! Here we go :)
- Take a towel and dampen it with cool water. Apply it to your sun rash with a little pressure. Keep doing this for 15 minutes continously. Repeat this application 2-3 times a day.
- Application of soothing Aloe Vera gel on the rash also helps a lot in stopping pain and inflammation.
- Two teaspoons oatmeal and a drop of honey must be added to half cup ripe papaya. This mask must be applied and kept for 20 minutes, after which it can be washed off.
- Cucumber and lime juice serve to cool and lighten sunburn. Therefore, they must be mixed in equal ratio and applied often.
- A pinch of turmeric must be added to yoghurt and must be applied on the face, neck and arms for half hour on a regular basis.
And finally, remember, if you protect your skin well, you won't even get these sun-burns at all. We suggest you to apply sun screen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 at least 20 minutes before heading out the door. Carry your sunscreen with you and reapply it every two hours.
Also, drink one glass of "Aam Panna" daily.
More in "Beat the Heat" Series: